Sunday, October 22, 2006

Moo pt.2

If you're wondering how we came about to get Moo the cat in our lovely abode, here's our story.

On Sunday, October 15th the members of our home went to the SFSPCA two blocks from our house to look at kitten and puppies. My sister and I were looking around one of the kitten rooms and we met Spice, a little orange three month old that was cute and liked to be held. We fell in love with Spice but couldn't take her home because we couldn't get in touch with our landlord to get permission to have pets, we were sad but thought we would come back the next day to get her.

Once we got home I started to think and realised that if I got her on Monday, she would be by herself on Tuesday and Wednesday since I had to go to school. So I decided to get her on Thursday so I could be with her the whole weekend. But then on Tuesday I called and she had been adopted on Monday. Oh well.

We were thinking maybe it's not meant to be, maybe we weren't supposed to get a cat. Then on Wednesday a HUGE mouse ran through our apartment and that cemented the deal, we needed a cat. So on Thursday I got a car and drove to the SPCA intent on getting a cat. I spent two hours looking at cats and kittens and finding out which cats were mellow and cute and fun but still nice to have around.
I had specific criteria for a cat: Short hair, not all black, and not fat. He/she has to like cuddling, loveable and not super active or jumpy (our house isn't a quiet one).The first cat I saw was Clover, who roomed with Pookie. I sat on the floor and got cuddles from both cats, unfortunately Pookie was a longhair but Clover, she was super cute and loved head butting my face.

Clover's sheet


Clover looking out the window

Two kittens cuddling

A kitten chillin' in her litter box

I went with the volunteer to see a bunch of other cats, and finally decided that the only cat that I felt would fit in at our house was Clover.

And so the adoption process began, after filling out paper work, many calls to my sister and Sarah to make sure I was making the right decision, I got little Clover in a box. The poor baby was meowing so much on the way home, probably from my nervous driving, since that was the first time I had driven a Prius and was SO not used to it. I finally got Clover home, let her out of her box, she then jumped out and ran under my bed in the back corner for her safe haven.

I went to buy her a litter box and bowls, and came back as fast as I could. Then I had to return the car. Then I realised I bought the wrong kind of litter so I had to go get some normal litter. So I was in and out of the house, between trips I would get on the floor and take a look at her to see how she was doing. Finally I read the info that the SPCA gave me and found out I was supposed to leave her alone. I did and a few hours later went to check on her and she came out tentatively to eat a little bit and drink a little water. She started investigating my room, and by that evening was out walking in the hallway outside my room.

A few days later she's out and hanging out in the living room full time. A super mellow kitty she's doing really great. We have also renamed her Moo since we've been having trouble remember the name Clover and she's got big cow spots on her. And Moo means pig in Thai, and she's always very excited to hear the food bag rustling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what's the deal with not wanting a fat cat? what do you have against fatties?... poor carter, he thought you loved him! he's very hurt!

Moooo cat is awesome! i love her pink nose!

Asha said...

Ha ha. It's not that I didn't want a fat cat, AND it's not that I don't love Carter, I just wanted a cat I could pick up and cuddle, and you know how Carter hates to be picked up!

And yes, Moo is awesome.

nabeel said...

Does he sleep in the same spot all day?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8pbvRPRmrM&eurl=