Saturday, October 14, 2006

Avoidance is Bliss

So, I have to write this paper on philosophy, and this semester, after taking this mandatory tag-team philosophy/art history class, I've learned that I REALLY, no-REALLY hate philosophy and art history. I mean, I couldn't care less about either one of these subjects, and in class, most of my energy is spent on not letting my mind wander and not falling asleep. It's really quite sad. What I loved about undergrad was that you never needed to take philosophy, unfortunately I was a major in the department of art and design and therefore had to take an art history class, it was pretty painless and I got a B, I was happy.

Honestly, I hate philosophy not only because it's excrutiating, but also because I really don't see how this factors into my life. My professor will ask "what do you think of Plato's theory of the tripartite soul?" If I could I'd reply that I really couldn't care less what caste I was in, as long as I didn't need to listen to Plato's bullshit about how the "form" is better than the "sensual object". Look, there's this stupid analogy of the "Bed" in Book X. It's ridiculous, he says that the "idea" or "form" of a bed is better than the bed itself. Look buddy. I sleep on a bed. I do not sleep on an idea. I can't use the idea for shit. It's a fucking idea in my mind, how is this better than a thing that serves it's purpose? Honestly.

AND. These people, when they write, even the contemporaries, they write in such elongated sentences, with confusing language, I honestly have to read each paragraph three times, three times, before I can comprehend and move on. I mean, check this out:

"Rather than doctrine formulae for describing man and clerical austerities for educating him, Petrarch turned to undgomatic introspection and observation for his insights into the human condition, and a full life of literature and action, as well as monastic solitude, for his education."

There are two words I don't understand in that sentence. That long sentence. And they're pivotal words. I don't want to read with a dictionary by my side, it inhibits my comprehension. It stops my flow. It throws off my groove! And I don't enjoy it.

On another note, after many months of not having a myspace link on my quick-link toolbar of internet explorer, it has finally resurfaced. Why you ask? Because in avoiding all work for classes I have taken to continuously logging onto myspace to check out people's pages and post nonsensical rantings like this one. If your page views have gone up considerably, you know why.

Have a happy weekend!

No comments: