Sunday, February 18, 2007

Moss Beach!

Yesterday my sister and her husband decided to go to a beach to hang out since it was a such a beautiful and warm day. Out of character for me, when asked if I wanted to go, I said yes.

So off we went, in the car down the 101 to the 280 to the 1, first glance at the ocean really wakes you up in the morning, it almost completely clear, waves crashing, air smelling great and feeling warm. It was truely a beautiful February day.

On the way down (to where I didn't know) we stopped at this beach (I looked, I have no idea where it is) to watch the hundreds of surfers that had gathered to try and catch a real wave. I know this picture doesn't show it, but the cove that this beach was in was huge, and from practically edge to edge, there were just a ton of surfers waiting out there.

Surfers at unknown beach
I don't know if it's just me, but I like watching surfers on land too, sometimes it's even more interesting to see the differences in the types of surfers, the way they move when they're out of the water, even who they're with is interesting to see. Like one surfer who walked out, over to his wife, who we had been watching because they had a golden retriever with a ball that was just hilarious to watch. Then there was the tale male surfer that was doing Sun Salutation yoga in front of us, first time I ever saw that, but cool...anyway...onward...
Pathway back up to the real world
After watching the surfers, we moved on down the highway and ended up in Moss Beach. We drove down through a cute neighborhood to the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, known for their tidepools, wooded hikes and apparently contaminated water. But it's really cute, you drive through a neighborhood, there's a little parking lot, the Marine Reserve buildings and a short walk down a path, some rocks and over a flowing beach stream to a long beach covered in smooth rocks with holes in them.

Can you spot the seal?
The best part was that there were seals at the beach, that I was told were feeding, they were just hanging out, riding the surf and popping their heads out to stare at us weird looking humans. They were definately a cute bunch.

Ahhhhh...sunbathing
Once the tide started going out, and the rocks started showing up from under the surf, the seals climbed onto them and started their sunbathing. So cute, and a wonderful end to a our field trip.

No comments: