Thursday, July 05, 2007

Foodsie!

So I have no pictures, just recollections of the past few days of food. Read if you wish, my camera has only just gotten back into commission after I have temporarily given up my search for a new 'un.

Yesterday began with toast, scrambled eggs and bacon. Picture this:
A slice of toasted sourdough, a layer of butter, a slathering of boysenberry jam, a layer of scrambled eggs, topped with bacon.

An orgasm in my mouth.

Luckily I only had one slice otherwise I would have completely O.D.'ed on my breakfast. I don't know what it is about the combination of sweet and salty that makes me go over the top. Like maple-roasted bacon. *Drool* And the popcorn in Thailand? Love it when they mix the sweet with the salty so I get a mouthful of each flavour.

Then Fog City Diner for dinner, an my verdict is: Eh.

Nothing special, honestly I would never go back there again, overpriced eatings, and being the cheapie I am, I'd rather eat some great Thai food rather than overpriced "decadent" food. Call me low-brow, I like being there.

Lunch today turned out to be spinach-ground beef spaghetti with a sprinkling of bacon. Lots of bacon grease makes for an extremely, but tastey lunch.

Between lunch and dinner, I pulled my strawberries (bought a day before yesterday) out of the back of the fridge and sliced a few up with yogurt, sat down to eat my afternoon snack and got an icicle between my molars. Oh wait, that was a frozen strawberry. I guess the back of the fridge is not the best place for liquid-based food. So the strawberries will be going bad soon, so I decide JAM! What better solution than a little bit of jam. Look online for a recipe and and find a super simple recipe that doesn't involve pectin and therefore does not involve me leaving the apartment. Strawberries, sugar and orange juice (what was supposed me lemon, but you know, citrus is citrus). Mix and boil, it is now sitting in a kern's jar in my fridge, with more of a preserve consistancy than jam, but I have tried it with my prized yogurt and am very much satisfied.

Dinner was a spread of ciabatta, crackers, salami, olive tapanade, avocado and goat cheese. Light, somewhat healthy and yum!

As for the retail therapy that happened yesterday...

I walked into Westfield with the thought that I would discover Bloomingdale's for the wonder of fashion that it is, and since I'm always seeing people with Bloomie's bags all over the place, I figure I must be able to find something I like there and can buy with good conscious (because I am still, that very, very frugal person). Well, the verdict was: NO. My goodness. I found one dress that I really liked there, and it was silk, beautiful and for $100 a good deal, but it was dry clean only, and I when I can catch myself, I don't buy clothes that I can't at least wash in a machine. Anyway, ditched Bloomies and started through the actual mall, I can't really even remember the stores I walked into. Anything that said SALE really. Ended up buying from Victoria Secret (had a $10 off coupon), Express and of course, MNG. Everytime someone that I knew saw the Express bag, they would exclaim "Man, I haven't been to Express in aaaages." Which I agree with, I hardly ever go in there because it's just too much of a hassle for nothing, but today I saw so many people with bags, I figure I should at least try it out. Got a cardigan for $10. And onto MNG's flagship in SF, walked though and found a black jacket that I loved, 50% off and just had to buy it, even though it was stifling outside, I just knew I had to.

Shopping was a success, I was happy with my big bags, got the retail therapy I needed, because there's few feelings better than having a big bag and showing your purchase off to others, so I am satisfied as far as purchasing goes, for at least a while.

Now that I have batteries for my camera, maybe I'll actually be able to post some pictures, I've been taking pictures of stuff I've seen on the street. Did I ever tell you about the time I saw a filleted salmon on the street? It must have either come from Chez Spencer or Nihon, but it was a full fish body-sans meat, in the gutter, on the street, across from my house. Well, let the adventuring begin.

No comments: