Saturday, April 28, 2007

She's A Maniaaac, Maniaaac...

And by "she" I am of course referring to me. It is now hour 10 of being at school (on a Saturday, no less), granted I have not been working the whole time, I have taken multiple flickr breaks, food breaks and general walking around breaks, and I guess the time that I spend darting from computer to printer can't really be called "working" per se since I am not doing anything but giving my legs a good workout and causing my brain to slowly disfunction while I silently swear to myself about the paper I'm wasting by constantly printing out stuff and then realising I made a mistake. Semi-epitome of d'oh.

Well since I've mentioned flickr, I guess I should just go ahead and admit it to the world. I am addicted to flickr. And blogger (obviously, since I'm on here right now when I should be working). Every few minutes I will stop working and go check to see who's commented on my photos, which invariably means I will go and look at those peoples' photos and comment on them and trust me, that takes a while. Especially since alot of people commenting on my photos are cat people and therefore have gorgeous pictures of their cats, which I of course sit and drool over the wonderful cinematography (does that work for static photos? Whatever, they're beautiful) and of course then I go and look at what camera they have, then gotta check how much it costs at bestbuy, and compare it to my tiddliwinks camera, cry in pity and then get back to work. I have honestly considered getting a REAL camera which I can actually self focus with the turning lens (oh how professional I'll feel once I get a turning lens!), and I figure, if W can drop $500 on an xbox 360, I can totally drop at least that much on a camera that will last me the rest of my life. The other week I dropped my current camera in the park without knowing, had walked half a block before I realised and backtracked until I found it. The whole time I was backtracking I was thinking about what kind of camera I would get if I couldn't find the old one. Wonder of wonders it was in the same place I dropped it, untouched, although I'm wondering if I knows I thought of replacing it before I even got closure. It'll probably electrocute me for being such a callous camera slut.

Last night I watched the movie Shopgirl, which apparently I swore I would never watch because I had read the book and knew the movie would never, ever, in a million years live up to the beautifully written humorous subtlety of the novella, but against all odds (and the fact that I forgot my swearing) I watched the movie, and it was (of course) very different from the book. Steve Martin (who wrote both the novella and screenplay) played the main "older" character, which slightly freaked me out, I would have preferred Chris Noth (Big from Sex and the City) since he had the suave older guy thing down in SatC, but Martin did a great job in the role, proving that he really should not be doing crap like Cheaper by the Dozen. Ever. In the special features they kept mentioning how Martin was best choice since he knew the material so well, and it's true, he wrote every nuance and so played it in the truest way, it's just disarming to see him in that role. Claire Danes as Mirabelle was a great casting choice, my sister remarked that Gwenyth (sp?) Paltrow would have been good in the role too, unfortunately, too old. As for Jeremy, Jason Schwartzmen (sp! I'm too lazy to look it up) was good, perfectly awkward, but of course, me being so superficially focused on looks, he didn't really look the part for me. After Rushmore, I just can't imagine him as any other person.

The cinematography was amazing, the movie has a very thought out art-film quality which I love, and like they mentioned in special features, having people not from L.A. (director Anand and producer Ashok, look it up on imdb.com to see last names, I can't remember) working on the film really breathes new life into the location. Views that do not conjure up thoughts of L.A., yet do are shown throughout the movie, the color changes to reflect moods work so well, it's so amazing how it plays on your psyche without you knowing. When Mirabelle is going through her "blue" phase and coloring followed suite, I absolutely felt it, but didn't know why. That's great movie making right there. If you ever get around to watching it, I recommend you watch it then read the book, I did it the otherway around and I was constantly thinking about how people who hadn't read the book would not know what was going on, and I'm sure it was because I had read the book, with its full omnipresent narrative which explained ever little remark, so in a sense I was over-educated. If you don't end up watching the movie, I implore you to at least read the book. I still go back and read it, since its such a quick read and so beautifully done.

Back to work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, you are crazy!
any who... how come you've never let me borrow that book!? i've asked you if you had any good books and you've never let me borrow any!!!! *sobs*

Asha said...

LOL becuase my books have a nasty habit of never making it back to me, and that book I cherish! Next time if I remember I'll bring it.

Anonymous said...

i understand your concern, but i love books too and would never keep one from its owner!
and yes, i think you should make a list of your books so i can peruse and make selections! :-)