Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lost. Fo' reals.

I just lost my wallet for the third time in the last three months. That's an average of once a month. That doesn't seem healthy. I had it when I went to lunch at 3:05 today. I had it right before I ate my lunch, it was still open, I checked to see everything was inside. Then...I remember NOTHING. Honestly, how does this keep happening? Am I so careless that the fates will endlessly conspire to make my wallet dematerialize? (That question was so beyond rhetorical.) Honestly, the first time, I left it in the rental car and the moron that rented it after me decided to take it and call me hours later after I had panicked and cancelled all my credit cards and checked the car twice. I got it back but the only useful thing in there was my driver's license.

The second time I didn't put it in my back pocket twice and it must have popped out and ran off to spend some time with the bubblegum machine in the mall. In that situation, my wallet also dematerialized, no one turned it in, it was no where that I went, it just POOFED. What the fuck, don't people know that going through the motions of cancelling cards and waiting for new ones is a pain? And on top of that, my driver's license was gone so I had to go to the DMV people. THE DMV. I had an appointment which cut down the annoyance potential quite a bit, except that I couldn't find the damn bus stop so I basically overshot twice before I figured out where the hell I was. That pretty much evened out my annoyance.

And now. I have nothing. Nada. No debit, no credit, no license to speak of. And I must go through the whole shebang all over again. This time, I will do it right, this time I will get a fucking chain the size of my cat to hang from my belt loop to the wallet, which I will only remove at the end of the day in my apartment before I go to bed. If even that.

My feverent posting isn't helped by the fact that I just spent the last hour crying and blubbering into the phone to W. I was fine at first, a little annoyed but not super upset. And then the Amtrak lady answered my call. To put things in context, I was planning to visit Fresno and couldn't now that I didn't have any ID, couldn't drive while I was in Fresno and that would just be a pain in the ass. Plus, I have no way of paying for anything or even getting my ticket since I need a credit card to start the process going. Anyway she was a bitch. Like capital bitch, which was so confounding because whenever I have called Amtrak previously, they've been grrrrreat. But this time, she was just mean. So I cut the call short, didn't ask her to do anything for me (like cancel my trip) and hung and basically burst into tears. I hate losing things. I hate being careless. I was so good. I checked every few minutes to see if I had my wallet, phone and keys. But today was no ordinary day. Today I had my big final presentation for one my classes, and although I had finished it days ago, I was nervous because I wasn't confident about how it looked. And although I had already done my presentation at this point, I still had more to sit through and I still have more projects to do for other classes.

So somehow, between the soup eating and searching for my wallet at home, I lost my wallet. Such a damn fucking pain. I realised what happened, frantically checked everywhere in the apartment, realised where I saw it last, grabbed a CityCarShare for an hour and a half and high-tailed it to school to crawl on the ground and search for this stupid wallet. Thank goodness for CityCarShare to give me peace of mind (or something close to it) And on top of that, I'm not going down to Fresno this weekend, because of this hoo-hah and because of this hoo-hah I realised that I have way too much shit to do before the end of the semester. (Hoo-hah.) The fates have a mysterious and annoying way of telling me that I need to keep my mind on school and off flaking. You can only procrastinate on a watercolor project for so long before it gets ridonkulous.

And of course right now it's 12:07 in the AM and I am wide-fucking-awake, so its a good thing I'm not travelling because usually I wake up at 5:15 to go. I would not have survived the trip out to Richmond to catch the Amtrak must less the train itself.

I'm going to take a shower and chill and if I'm still not tuckered, I'll post about CityCarShare to explain the wonder that it is.

No comments: