Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Acupuncture a.k.a. FRIK That Needle Hurts

Yes, yes, I have heard that "when done properly, acupuncture is NOT supposed to hurt." But like my doctor told me, acupuncture is much like trying to stick a pin through cloth and not touching a thread. Damn near impossible right? Either way, I was in pain. But mostly becuase I'm pretty scared of pain and the anticipation of it was really bothering me. And caused me to break out in sweats. Not really conducive to the application of iodine, since water tends to wash away the stuff really bad, which my doctor was using as markers for where he was to apply his sadistic torture pins. So I keep telling myself it's for the greater good.

Somehow I still don't find that comforting.

The pin
For your viewing pleasure
(You sadistic bastard)

4 comments:

yoni said...

I can't see any pin. I just see tape with a metallic ring. ?

Lindsay said...

OMG..next time how about a 'graphic' image warning!! :0

Asha said...

The metal ring IS the pin, it's a ring with a tiny perpendicular pin raising out of it, i couldn't quite get the perfect picture to illustrate it...

Anonymous said...

I realize this is an old post, but I'll comment anyway :) I'm an acupuncturist, and a point can hurt depending on what point you're using done properly or not. The point you have shown, that's a painful point no matter how skilled the practitioner is. Whenever you see that type of needle used, it's going to hurt since they're mainly used on very sensitive points. Other more meaty spots have little to no pain unless it's a chronic pain you have, in which case the insertion may hurt because the point itself has pain regardless of a needle. To say it's not supposed to ever hurt is very misleading if your acupuncturist told you this, though.