Sunday, September 09, 2007

Router Issues

So I'm sure if you're either on facebook or have me on your msn messenger, you may or may not know that I've been having severe issues with wireless routers. First our Linksys pooped out, wired was fine, but the wireless was simply worthless. Come labor day and some sales, I walked over to Best Buy and picked up a cheapie Belkin G router for $30-something bucks, the lowest speed and price. Bad idea. Brought it home and hooked it up, was great to have wireless, unfortunately, the trade off with the price was that it was very dodgy wireless. And I don't mean dodgy like sleazy or weird, I mean like, it dodged like a ninja! My computer could barely pick it up. Finally, a whole week late I relented and packed the Belkin up, walked back over to Best Buy, picked up a Netgear model which apparently had 10X the speed of the Belkin G, paid an additional $40, and walked home with my $80 router, praying that it would work.

So I'm hooking it up, gotten through the whole setup process and my computer has yet to even locate this new router, meanwhile it's connected to some unsecured apple network, which was driving me nuts because I was unable to unconnect from it. Finally gave in and called Netgear's customer service number and after about half an hour of talking to a tech, got my wireless to work. Have yet to really test it by downloading something, but I've actually been able to watch a whole youtube video, which was a rare thing with the Belkin, so things are already looking up *knock on wood*.

The only way we will see is with time...

Not much other news to report, school starting soon and I actually managed to find four usable properties for the four different locations of my thesis, quite a feat when you think about the fact that I basically can't get plans unless I know someone who knows someone who owns the plans to a building. Security thing, totally understandable, but completely irritating.

No comments: