Friday, May 09, 2008

Battlecry

I have seriously been embroiled in some battling since January. And finally, last week, I won.

Let me (of course) start from the beginning.

This past January I started noticing that I wasn't receiving all of my calls. In fact, I wasn't receiving some of my calls, the voice mails those calls would have, or text messages people sent me. Not good for business. So I called to inquire.

This was basically the pattern:
-The problem would occur
-I would call the phone company
-They would assure me the would try to find a remedy
-I would believe them

And so the cycle kept going on and on until finally in the beginning of April I called and wanted some answers. They told me they were sending me a new phone. What they actually did was sign me up for a NEW two year contract. At that point I had been having problems for three months, who in their right mind would sign up for two more years of shit? One of the reasons I was being so co-operative was because I knew my contract as up in August, so I figured I would keep using their service until then, and then move on.

But nope, they signed me up, DIDN'T TELL ME, so that when I called next week, I found out, was totally shocked, started crying on the phone and was pretty darned near hysterical. Not good times.

I was at the end of my rope, I had no idea what to do, they were basically calling me a liar, I was trying to figure out who to talk to, how to talk to them, how to resolve the whole issue. I almost totally gave up, and was resigned to paying $200+ to get out of this ridiculous contract when I started Googling information about contracts.

The best information I got was to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission. Which I did. The BBB contacted the company, who in turn contacted me and gave me the option of continuing to troubleshoot the problem or send back the new phone they sent me and have the cancellation fee waived. Only an absolutely insane person would have picked anything but the latter.

So finally I am free, receiving all my calls and happily with another carrier.

Oh yeah, and a MONTH after they signed me up for that b.s. two year contract, I received a letter stating that the action had been done. Complete and utter fuck up. What a waste of almost three years of loyal patronage.

6 comments:

yoni said...

Heya. Ok, it sounds like you are happy and that your issue is resolved. But I don't understand what you actually did. Did you file a complaint with the 'BBB'? Did they take some kind of action on your behalf? Do you have to pay the $200 cancelling fee? Are you still locked in the 2 year contract? Sorry I'm a bit slow...

Asha said...

Are you being serious? Because it seems like you're asking very specific questions, are all answerable by re-reading the post.

But because you're such a frequent reader, (and I want to avoid work so badly) I have highlighted the answers to your questions in the blog. Have fun re-reading.

yoni said...

Hrm ok. Are you sure you didn't add a few extra words of clarification after I asked my questions? But thanks anyway...

Asha said...

Is there a set of ethics when it comes to blogging?

You caught me trying to be all "IN YO' FACE", but instead I'm the one with egg on my face.

To my credit I only added three words (plus punctuation), those being "Which I did." Everything else was already there.

So...semi-FACE.

yoni said...

The 'which I did' innocent 3 little words are the missing piece to this puzzle. I didn't know if you took their advice to contact them or not.

I'm sooo hungry.

Asha said...

Do you honestly think I'm THAT Yon? That I would get good advice and not follow it? Just because that's what you regularly doesn't mean that others follow suite.