Friday, October 19, 2007

Today Is A Day For...

...mundo celebration!

Rejoice, for my computer has finally gotten fixed! After two weeks without my own personal computer, I realise how much I rely on it, and how nice my sister and brother in law are to let me sneak onto theirs when it "looks like" they're not using it. And trekking to school just when I wanted to do some work wasn't too great either. Except now I just realised that I saved my CAD work at school without saving it as an earlier CAD file, so I can't open it on my computer. Oh well, that's life I guess (woohoo).

So in case you were wondering what in the world happened to my beloved computer, one day, the motherboard basically decided "I'm not going to work anymore. So. Ha." The BEST part was that my warranty had expired four days before my computer gave up, which I didn't find out until I called Dell to ask them to please figure out why my computer wasn't charging. I suspected it was the adapter, so I called, they shipped out a new one, courtesy of Dell (which, by the way, I love, their customer service has always been nice to me, ask long as I talk to the right person), and found out that it in fact wasn't the adapter, but the motherboard that konked out.

What were my choices? Pay $248 + $45 re-instatement fee since the end of my warranty had already come and gone, and I get my computer covered for two years. So I had to ask how much it would cost to just replace the motherboard. A whopping $500, which happened to include the labor for installation too. How nice. So for a grand total of $303, I got my warranty until 2009, and had a guy come to my house to replace my motherboard. Which was great. Except that he didn't show up the first day. But he did the second, and was very nice and friendly and showed me all the parts of my laptop that he basically had to strip to put the new motherboard in. Who knew there were so many screws in a laptop?

Anyway, my biggest fear was that all my work and pictures and music were going to get wiped off my laptop and I would have lost all my pictures of my dogs. Funny that those are the pictures I cherish most. I've been seriously considering getting an external harddrive to back all that stuff up. We'll see how that goes down.

My head is spinning so I guess it's time for bed.

2 comments:

yoni said...

Too long and no pictures. I didn't get past the first sentence. Sorry.

Asha said...

I put alot of effort into my witty self-banter, the least you could do is read more than one sentence...HONESTLY YONI.